Passports and RenewalsLast Updated 26 Mar 2022
Taking care of and renewing your UK passport in TRNC
Your passport is an important legal document. Identity theft, passport fraud and related crime are on the increase so you need to take good care of it.
Make sure that it is kept in a safe place, is valid and in good condition. At the back of your passport, fill in the contact details of two relatives or friends who can be contacted in case of an emergency.
Please click here to read the current British passport acceptability in the EU.
The British High Commission in Nicosia no longer processes passport applications.
Don’t book any travel until you have a valid passport.
For travel advice and information visit: https://travelaware.campaign.gov.uk/
The renewal of your UK passport can now only be done online. To start the process go to the following link Overseas Renewal
You complete the form online together with your preferred payment method and submit the details to the passport office. You must print out the last page where a bar code will be shown. You must sign and date the last page.
A few important points when completing your application if you are using your TRNC address.
- The country is Turkey
- Enter your home address, not your Post Box
- Include TRNC via Mersin 10 in the address
- Use your TRNC Post Code ( Girne 99300, Lefkosa 99010, Famagusta 99450 )
- Put your local mobile number in accompanying letter, requesting that it be given to DHL if that is the route.
- Ensure you keep your signature inside the Signature box. It has been known for non compliance of this detail to cause the return of your form and trigger a re-application process
Having completed the form online you must then arrange for your passport to be returned to the UK.
It costs 70 euros per application ( AUG 2018 ) and takes about 4/6 weeks for return.
The passport is now returned to your home address. You must request the return of your old passport.
There is no longer any facility at the British High Commission in Cyprus for dealing with this. The collection of passports is carried out by DHL.
Note: there are DHL Service Points in Girne and Famagusta. Information on these is at the foot of this page.
If you are travelling to the UK it is easier, quicker and cheaper to make use of the Passport office Premium (1 day) or Fast track one week service while you are there. For more details please click here. Appointments for the one day service should be made 3 weeks in advance.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ANYONE WANTING TO VISIT TURKEY MUST HAVE 6 MONTHS REMAINING BEFORE THE EXPIRY OF THEIR PASSPORT RENEWAL DATE. IF NOT VISIT THE HIGH COMMISSION IN LEFKOSA (RING FOR APPOINTMENT IN ADVANCE) AND THEY WILL ARRANGE FOR AN EXTENSION.
Don’t book travel until you have a valid passport. If you need to travel more urgently, apply for an Emergency Travel Document.
Tracking your application
You can track your application online https://www.gov.uk/track-passport-application
or call the Passport Adviceline. +44 (0) 300 222 0000
Contact Points for handling Passport Renewals and Parcels
DHL Courier Service – Main Office Lefkosa
Tel: 0392 444 0505
The main DHL Office is in Lefkosa on the industrial estate. Sanayi Bolgesi 22. Sokak Harun Erhun Kargo Lefkosa
Coming from Kyrenia, turn left at the big roundabout in Lefkosa ( as though you were going to Famagusta or Ercan). Continue for approx 1 mile and you will see a Mercedes dealership on the left. Take the first left after the dealership, then first left then second right.
You can also contact the office in Lefkosa to arrange a courier. DHL will then schedule a courier to go directly to your address. If you are sending a passport, the courier will bring with them the paperwork for you to complete and for payment to be made.
Passport Renewals (subject to review)
- Members should have with them their HMPO on-line declaration form along with any other additional documentation required plus old passport and hard copy passport photos (if unable to download)
- All documents must be presented in an open envelope, not sealed, to allow DHL to include a covering letter.
- Fee for the cost of DHL to despatch from the TRNC to the UK is currently €70 (DHL will only accept this currency)
- Admin fee 5TL may be charged to arrange pick up/drop off times and to cover telephone calls to the customer and DHL
DHL Courier Service - WEST OF GIRNE ( No Parcels )
Location: Orhan Barut Sokak, Karaoglanoglu
- Complete on-line renewal form
- Print off Declaration form, with passport photos (if unable to download), old passport and place into an envelope
- Enclose a letter to explain that there is no postal service available in the TRNC
- Have with you €70 for courier fee
- There are no other fees
This is a Passport renewal service only. There is no parcel service available.
DHL Courier Service - KARPAZ SERVICE POINT
For members who live in the Karpaz area there is a DHL office located within the Famagusta Port facility. As you enter the port from the direction of Mosque island, take the first left, through the security barrier and then follow the signs for DHL.