Name Game Survey
Name game – the results:
A number of weeks ago, the BRS lobby group wanted to find out what interested parties thought about the name TRNC and their views on alternative name suggestions. The survey was designed to be quick and simple and to only provide a snapshot of views. Contrary to a few negative social media comments, the survey was never designed to be a driver in actually changing the name of the TRNC. Nonetheless, the BRS Lobby Group will submit these results to the President’s office for their information.
The results are as follows:
|Republic of North Cyprus||33%|
|Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus||12%|
|Turkish Cypriot Republic||5%|
|Republic of Cyprus||4%|
|Turkish Cypriot State||4%|
|Turkish State of Northern Cyprus||3%|
|None of the above||1%|
- A large majority of participants preferred not to have ‘Turkish’ in the name and focussing more geographic location.
- There was not much support for the current TRNC name.
- A very small number of people believe in being part of the Greek Cypriot administration of the Republic of Cyprus.
- Number of participants - 519
- Number of current BRS members who took part – 367 (c70%)
- Number of former BRS members who took part – 71 (c14%)
- Number of non-members who took part – 81 (c16%)
Other name suggestions sent in:
- Independent Republic of Cyprus
- Republic of Turkish Cyprus
- Democratic Republic of Turkish Cyprus
- Principality of Cyprus